Gear List

There is a lot of info about what to take on the Camino!  I have been trawling the internet and reading other people's experiences.  It seems everyone is different.  
St Jean Pied de Port, the starting point

Some say take only a sleep sack (!! in April!?!) others say a sleeping bag is essential. On this one, I am with the traditionalists and will take a down sleeping bag in a compression sack. 

Some say just send your gear onwards with a pack delivery service, others carry their gear. At the moment I'm planning to carry mine, but am flexible to see how things pan out.

Some say that you don't need boots, others that boots are essential...well, if you read my last post, you'll see that I may be going in runners. I wonder if I use runners whether I should take gaiters/shoe covers? for waterproofness when it rains? 

Walking poles are a hindrance in my humble opinion, I don't like having anything in my hand when walking or tramping, and although they are probably handy on downhill stretches, I don't fancy lugging one about, so have scrapped that off the list.


I also have to keep in mind that I will be in Paris for 4 days before hand and I don't want to look like a complete nut-job, plus afterwards we make our way to Barcelona to see the Gaudi buildings, so some of my gear has to be passable on the street.

We shall see....in the meantime, I have started thinking about a packing list, trying to keep it short and snappy.  My two concessions at the moment are the Kindle and a Merino poncho.  

I'll be interested to hear if anyone has spotted items I may cull off ..or indeed, add?


PACKING LIST FOR CAMINO
Backpack (50l)
Black bin liner to line it with
Small day pack for the plane, must fit inside the backpack for carrying
Sleeping bag in small stuff/compression sack
Electronic file of Guide Book on my phone
Headtorch with new batteries
Phone + Charger + multi plug for Europe + Solar Charger/9V battery
Kindle + Charger
Headphones
Sunscreen (small)
Sunhat
Sunglasses
Reading Glasses
Earplugs
Sleeping Mask
TSD
Foldable water bottle
Toilet paper in the form of compressed tablets, see here (I've got 100 of them, NOT individually wrapped)
Small pump bottle of bedbug spray (may have to buy in Paris)
Can opener
Knife/fork/spoon trio
Clothes
Neckwarmer/Tube Hat
Earth Sea Sky Rain Coat
Fingerless Gloves
Boots x 1 and Jandals/sandals x 1
Microfibre towel 1/2 size
2 bra (1 to wear)
2 pairs undies (Pack into plastic bag – 1 to wear)
2 pairs anti-chafing undies
2 pairs Squeezy Compression Socks (pack into plastic bag – 1 to wear)
3 pairs ribless warm boot socks (see Farmlands) (pack into plastic bag – 1 to wear)
Following to all be in matching colourway – no denim (Roll and secure with Rubberbands)
1pr black leggings/double as thermals and pyjamas
1 x activewear trousers for walking in
1 x cotton 3/4 pants for walking in
2 x activewear t-shirts (1 to wear, 1 to carry)
1 x Earth Sea Sky t-shirt for evenings
2 x long sleeved merino t-shirt
1 x activewear singlet
1 x merino wool singlet
1 x lightweight Merino longsleeved crossover top 
1 x Activewear Long sleeved jumper
1 x Lightweight Polar Fleece with pocket
Toiletries
1 bar of shampoo
1 bar sunlight soap for clothes washing
Disposable Shaver
Toothbrush and paste
Medicines (not disclosed to public): Canesten, Voltaren, Diahorrea tabs, Panadol/Codeine, Losec, Daily Heart aspirin, Antinausea pills, Multi use Antibiotics (to get a prescription)
Strip plaster and tape/Compeed
Lanolin for feet (use before putting on socks)
Lipbalm
Needle set with thread
Large safety pins
Deodorant
Tiny Scissors
Small Handsanitiser
Baby wipes
Twisty Washing Line

Essentials
Passport
Money
Tickets
Credit Card
Money Pouch (to be worn)
Pen

I was going to make a nifty charge using a 9V battery for charging my electronic things until I read about a guy who was held up at the airport with customs thinking it was bomb making equipment ! oops, I won't be doing that now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TExXyea5Jpc

Comments