Getting inspiration from others - 7.5 weeks to go

I should be out walking, practicing just putting one foot in front of the other repetitively.  I should be fitter. I should be thinner.  I should be ready.

Instead, I'm moseying a long.  I do the occasional 5km or so walk. I read facebook posts about the Camino.  I think about what the weather may or may not be like...should I take swimming togs (I've decided not to).  My mind wanders to Paris in the Spring, trees leafing up on the avenues, crisp continental morning air.
A hot 5km on the Hurunui bike trail from Leithfield to Amberley
And...I am watching with awe the progress of my brother-in-law who has started the Te Araroa Trail. This walk goes from the tip of the North Island to the tip of the South Island and takes up to 6 months.  He has decided to do just the South Island for the moment, starting at Bluff in the deep, dark south and working his way up the country, hopefully with the bad weather at his back.

It's been an interesting and inspiring thing reading his blog.  You can find it here: https://walkthesouthisland.blogspot.co.nz/2018/01/day-10-apirama-hut-0km.html.  He's about 2 weeks in and has already walked 200km!  Not my speed, that's for sure! He has had a few blisters and a few mishaps, but nothing compared to the couple he bumped into who took a 50km wrong turn for two days.

Just to note, everytime I go to the Post Office in Amberley, Jill at the counter asks if I walked there...LOL, like I have 2 hours to spare to walk the 7km there.

I'm sure I'll pay for my laziness once on The Way, watch me cry and complain when the time comes.

Comments