A decision, we go onwards

After 4 days of waiting, and indecision, we have finally formulated a plan of sorts.

The insurance company have accepted Matt's claim for medical expenses, but no news yet on travel changes. So, we have decided to move forward.

Today we take the train from the very modern Burgos station to Sarria. A 6hr journey, which cuts 300km from The Way. This leaves only 100km to walk, though we will still qualify for a Compostela. The idea is that I will walk to my ability, and Matt will bus/taxi each stage and meet me at the end of the day. It means I will only cover 400km, half of St James Way in total, but I would rather stay together than break us in two. Walking alone in a strange country is daunting, not just finding your way, or making decisions on hostels, but also the motivation is trickier for me. So I'm happy with this new itinerary.

After Santiago is fluid, but will still involve going to Barcelona, and possibly both of us will then go on to London.  I haven't yet talked to UK family, but I'm hoping to have some time with the Graces, and up to Norwich to see Geraldine.

So, we continue at last. It's a relief to have a strategy!

In other news, yesterday we went to the Military Museum, which was free and extremely interesting. They have an Enigma machine, thrilling!
Just as we were leaving the hotel this morning I was browsing through the leaflets and saw that Burgos also has a Museum of the history of books...tucked away in a side alley off the main square. Somehow we missed that. Although it was all in Spanish I gather from the photos that they have a whole collection of mediaeval illuminated manuscripts. Dang to have missed that.

Also today I had a whole conversation with a French couple who spoke no English. I managed to tell them all about Matt's feet, where we had walked, what we are doing today and where we are from, all in schoolgirl French dredged up from my brain backwaters. In return I found out that they both sing in a choir in their home town and that she paints, and walks also. They have 2 girls, and 5 grandchildren, and are taking the train to Pamplona then driving back home to Northern France. We had a whale of a time making ourselves understood.

Comments