Days 3 and 4

With the hard hike to Roncesvalles over I was looking forward to an easier day. We had a great night in the huge Albergue, 200 people staying that night - the laundry volunteers told me it was a quiet time, that in the high season they get over 500. I woke very early as I am still having jet lag woes, and we packed up to go to breakfast and set off.

All the snow had frozen overnight making it treacherous to go ththe 50m to breakfast. I have some pictures but they are on Matt's phone, I'll update later. He's sleeping now. (6.29PM).



The walk out was beautiful, flat, snow on either side and walking through closed of trees. Then it got worryingly steep. Yes, another big hill. After a few ups and downs we ended up on a high snow covered hilltop where we have some great pictures. Also on Matt's phone. I was feeling very tired and only done about 10km with another 12km to go. We teamed up with a French girl I had met the night before and a 76yr old German man. On and off we walked together for the rest of the day.

My legs felt like jelly, not sore, just wobbly and I would say that this was the hardest day. The last 3km down into Zubiri were steep, and relentless. We arrived 4pm at the township and fell into the nearest Albergue. It was a treat with new rooms, fabulous bathroom and lots of hot water. Dinner at 5pm, and by 7pm I was asleep. I didnt wake till 6.30pm this morning.

Breakfast was mingy, a piece of bread and a cup of tea, then we headed out the door for a shorter day. We decided that we would stop short of Pamplona, and walk the 4 or 5km into Pamplona tomorrow and have a rest day, and leave late from Pamplona and have a short day also. We have plenty of time and we are in need of some easy walking.

We were looking forward to a proper breakfast in Larrasoana, 5kn down the track But...everything was closed and we were forced to walk till lunchtime before we found a cafe. It was a great one, with a cat that sat on my knee and snuggled up. We had fresh oranges and Spanish omelette and revived.

A short 16km today into Trinidad de Arres, a 12th century Albergue complete with its own chapel, and walled garden.

To get here we walked in sunshine through rolling country that looked a lot like NZ.  Highlight of the day was being diverted by a nun up a hill (I was very dubious) to a chapel where we actually really enjoyed our visit. Matt even asked if we would pray the pilgrims version of the Lord's Prayer, which we said together.
Today we saw caterpillars making long joined up strings
Also saw Red Kites circling in the sky. A robin, and a big black slug were interesting also.
in this picture I'm standing in the garden of the hostel we are staying in tonight.

It's Easter Monday and everything in town is shut. We struggled to find any food to buy, but finally ,managed to get some tapas. We have had to buy donuts for breakfast, but Pamplona isn't too far away, and everything should reopen tomorrow.

Comments