The fastest 18km, rain and possible snow

Today was all about speed. Just to survive we had to go like the clappers.

A rest day in Los Argos yesterday was wonderful, I think I lay on my bed the whole day. Totally not functioning! The only place I visited was the over-the-top cathedral.. every surface was either painted, or gilded or embellished in some way.
There was an amazing organ which dominated your view once you got in the front door. It was huge, and glitzy and someone was playing a small easy piece over and over while I was there.
Los Argos was the first small town which felt properly lived in. There were people walking around, cars parking on squares and people in bars drinking. Very unlike some small towns we have walked through so far.

This morning we set off in good time, 8am. 10m down the road we stopped at a cafe for hot chocolate and croissants. Then we set off for good. By 10am the rain had started, and by 12midday we were in heavy rain, high wind and freezing temperatures. 

We had stopped at 10ish in Sansol and a TV was going in the cafe. The reporters were all excited at snow, in Avila. And they showed a weathermap which showed snow in about 5 different locations in Spain. Everywhere else, rain.

Matt and I walked fast to keep warm, but my fingers got so cold I could not hold my pole, and with my head down all I saw today was my boots and the path.

It was miserable!

By the time we arrived in Viana, 18km later, it was 1,30pm. And we were frozen solid. Matt's teeth were chattering and he couldn't stop shaking. I was dry aprt from my legs which were wet and cold, but my jacket lived up to its reputation and kept me dry.

We slowly had showers and dried out, but are very chilled. It supposed to rain the same tomorrow. 

I saw in another pilgrims newfeed that it snowed in Leon today!

Comments